Wednesday 2 October 2013

Looking Like a Witch?

Generally speaking I do like to look good, and as a result of looking good, I feel good too(um...duh)! Most of the time, and because I am not a morning person I could give less of a shit about what I look like. As long as their is no obvious pillow marks on my face and I smell good/am clean, I'm good to go; though as I go through the day I regret not being better about going to bed early the previous night so I could have a sufficient amount of time to take care of myself in the morning...

I'm way better about actually brushing my hair than I used to be; that was something  I never did, but I started getting kind of embarrassed when I'd try to unknott my hair in public (hair inevitably flying everywhere, essentially ripping it out...). If you've ever read Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden there is point in the book where the Hatsumomo and her friend traded hair pins or something and Auntie (I think?) is grossed out because that is apparently like switching underwear. Since reading that I've been real conscious of grooming my hair too much in public - why I don't know, but I guess it's kind of gross - not the trading hair pins bit but what I used to do. 

In high school I really wanted to be goth, I (poorly) attempted, though by 11th grade I found "trying" was too much work, and most of the "goth" kids I knew were dorks and know-it-alls so I moved away from that and just wore what I wanted (before goth I was cute little hippy chick, then my wannabe goth phase, which then just lent itself to grunge because the goth thing freaked my mom out and... I wasn't allowed to wear make up). I mean I can actually recall being in my late teens when my friends were going into the goth clothing shop and thinking "this is all so much work..." I think I can only think that I wanted to try the goth thing out was because my friends were sort of going in that direction, then as I came to own more of my own expression of style I found that I like really simple cuts. I've always been slightly awkward, and when I thought I wanted to visually stand out and did, it just made me uncomfortable. That said, I am intrinsically attracted to the look of eccentric women, especially if they have a sort of witchy vibe. There is just something impressive about woman who really own a blend of sexuality and genuine quirkiness in their everyday wardrobe. If I end up achieving this special blend, it's on the weekend and by accident. 

Some of my witchy style icons (not all of these women are witches, also no particular order): 

Sarah Sanderson: She may not have a lot going on upstairs but everything else is working fine! 

Morticia Adams: Now and forever. Actually, Angelica Huston. 

Lamia (from Stardust): Actually, just Michelle Pfeiffer. 


Maxine Sanders: Look at that bitch! Loves it! She's also claimed that witches (today) are "sometimes more weird and "Gothic" looking - not at all like the Beautiful People of the Sixties" (The Book of English Magic, p 199). Which I kind of agree with, actually completely agree with (more on that later). 


Um...Aunt Frances. The day I can walk out my door confidently in a kimono, I'll know I've arrived. 


Aunt Jet, personality wise, I'm almost there, but hair wise I am not. I can't wait until I start putting miniature fans in my hair. 

I dress like Sally during the week, and Gillian on the weekend. 

Can you really have anything witch related without including the girls from The Craft? Not that I'm emulating high school students, but common, they were like, 25 when filming this. Also, the 90's are back, there is nothing we can do about it, we can only embrace short skirts, baby doll dresses and thigh high socks. I've still got 3 years of my 20s left, I'm milking it. 

I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of gal, I'm also extraordinarily boring with how I express my personal style- I know what looks good on me, I have a few of what I call "fun pieces," but mostly I like simple things. Now, because of I don't outwardly express my spiritual practise, I have also been told that I don't "look like a witch" and been treated like a moron. Now I know these people who said and did these things are just dealing with their own shit and projecting it on me, so for the most part it's rolled off my back, but it did make me think: do witches have to look like anything? Do spiritual people have to look like anything? It's kind of like a superfluous kind of "racism" -which I know sounds utterly dumb - but because I look as dull as dry toast, people think I mustn't know anything on the craft, or on subjects of spirituality - which is complete shit. Look, I like khakis, I like white blouses, I don't wear (obvious) pagan related jewelry. I've never been into colouring my hair, or body modification, but does that make me less interesting or any less of a witch? 

I don't think witches "look" like anything or anyone. There is a "look" because people have made one up, but it isn't exactly real to me in the sense that you can define a witch by looks alone; for example, I don't "look" like how people might expect a witch to look. So, OK, sure, more often than not, we, as witches, magickal or spiritually inclined people are an eccentric bunch, but some of the actual odd balls I've met are the so-called "normal" non-religious or straight up non descriptive monotheistic types. Sure I am attracted to more "eccentric" dress, but that doesn't highlight my practise, nor does it identify my spirituality. 

It must come from some teenage or young adult form of defining who you are, and building relationships based on commonality-the first thing we recognize is how we look so naturally you might gravitate to people who look like they might hold your world view. But what about those seemingly straight-laced Republican type people who are into BDSM? How was that initiated in the bedroom from people who look like the cow girl position is pushing it? I mean my point is, just because a witch isn't wearing black, or romantic flowing gowns doesn't mean that they aren't witches. 

If you recall me quoting Maxine Sanders exclaiming that witches were no long the the "beautiful people" of the 60s, I found that interesting, because if you look at her, she was quintessentially a dreamy 60's flower child! And now, I find as well a lot of witches sort of "market" themselves in a dark sort of fashion. Again I find nothing wrong with either, but personally I would rather emulate Maxine Sanders than Laurie Cabot. I mean it's all self expression, so as long as you feel good, you will look good. 





No comments:

Post a Comment